People who are color blind may go through their lives not quite understanding the perception of color. While they may be able to distinguish an array of shades, they will not be able to see specific colors. EnChroma Glasses are a union of color vision science and optical technology. They are the only eyewear on the market that assists in correcting red-green color blindness. Color blindness, also known as color vision deficiency, is a condition where a person’s eyes are unable to see colors under normal light. Hence, people with color blindness will have a hard time telling colors apart from each other.
Facts About Color Blindness
- Affects millions of people around the world.
- 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women are color blind.
- Red-green color blindness is the most common.
- Sometimes referred to as Color Vision Deficiency (CVD).
- Color blindness us usually an inherited trait.
- Red/green color blindness is caused by photopigments overlap more than normal.
How EnChroma Created the Technology
Creating the lens started out as computer simulations, constructing sophisticated models that simulated colors and the extent of color vision deficiency. To create this model, EnChroma utilized the latest research on the genetics of color blindness and various anomalies related to photopigments and linked these into a model whereas it will give the effect on how people with red or green color blindness perceive colors.
EnChroma found a way to alleviate this by creating a specialized lens that filters out specific colors. It all started with computer simulations which helped to construct sophisticated models that simulate colors and the extent of color vision deficiency.
How does it work?
- Multinotch filtering cuts out sharp wavelengths of light to enhance specific colors.
- The EnChroma lenses will separate the overlapping red and green cones.
- They re-establish the correct balance between the signals from the three photopigments in the eye.
- The lenses excite the neural mechanisms of vision, therefore allowing the correct color perception.
Furthermore, if you are interested in learning more about this patent pending technology, contact Looking Glass Optical. We are always up to date on the latest vision technology, and, as a result, have the latest products. EnChroma Glasses are one way we are helping out patients see the world better.